Pages

▼

Friday, 9 October 2026

Book Reviews with Amber ~ The Cat Book Connoisseur at The Mewton-Clawson Library ~ #374 featuring **You've Got To Be Kitten** by Corrine Winters **PLUS** Friendly Fill-Ins - Blog Hop

Amber sits in a cosy autumn library on a green velvet chair, reading an open book while tiny scholarly mice bustle around with their own volumes. Golden lamplight, overflowing bookshelves, cookies, a teacup and rich fall flowers create a whimsical, elegant scene that celebrates Amber’s role as the world’s leading feline literary critic for the October banner at BBHQ
This review of You've Got To Be Kitten by Corrine Winters is part of Book Reviews with Amber, the Cat Book Connoisseur at the Mewton-Clawson Library. Scroll to read.

The world’s leading feline literary critic

From the shelves of the Mewton-Clawson Library, a curated review destination for cat-centric fiction at BionicBasil.com 
scroll post divider

Hello, meautiful library guests!

And

**Welcome back to the Mewton-Clawson Library at BBHQ!**

OH MY COD, MY EPICALLY EPIC FURIENDS!

I'M BACK!!!

Yes, after nine gloriously indulgent weeks exploring Italy with *Purrfectly Luxurious Jollies*, your favourite feline literary connoisseur has returned to BBHQ, and I must say, it's simply marvellous to be home!

Don't get me wrong, dahlings, Italy was utterly divine!

Lake Como, Venice, Positano, Rome... the breathtaking scenery, magnificent architecture, exquisite cuisine, furbulous couture, and some of the most interesting aristocats I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Not to mention the libraries!

**OH, THE LIBRARIES!**

And naturally, I made quite an impression wherever I went!!! MOL

But even after all that luxury, there's something rather special about coming home to my beloved Mewton-Clawson Library, my supurr snuggly oversized reading chair, my favourite books, and a freshly brewed pot of catmint cocoa.

Although I must confess, I did become rather accustomed to having a purrsonal concierge, a dedicated tour guide, and a champagne flute that was never allowed to remain empty.

Poor Raffi. I do hope he's recovered by now! MOL

Anyhoo, I know mew've all been following my Italian adventures through the postcards I sent to Melvyn over the summer, but believe me, dahlings, those were merely the highlights!

And I must confess, Raffi has a rather marvellous filter on his camera called the Feline Furbulous Filter, or F.F.F. for short.

Apparently, it makes one look even more furbulous!

Now, I know that's incredibly hard to believe in my case, given that I'm already the epitome of feline magnificence, but somehow, it really does ramp the glamour up to 11 out of 10!

MOL!

The really interesting stories are still to come!

So, starting next Friday, I'll be sharing **Amber's Grand Italian Journals**, taking mew behind the scenes of my furbulously feline adventures, from the shores of Lake Como to the grand palazzos of Rome and others that weren't mentioned.

There'll be glamorous gowns, magnificent libraries, rather unusual encounters, a few unexpected discoveries, and one or two incidents that I feel have been wildly exaggerated by certain members of the hospitality industry!

And yes, there may even be a mystery or two.

But I'm getting ahead of myself!

First, I've got nine weeks of library business to catch up on, some very impawtant reunions to attend to, and a certain young librarian who deserves a rather enormous thank mew for keeping everything running while I was away.

So, let's find out what's been happening at BBHQ!

And did I mention how epic it is to be home?!

Amber, dressed in lavish Victorian‑style finery with a wide flower‑trimmed hat and heart‑shaped sunglasses, sits at an elegant Roman cafรฉ enjoying a pistachio gelato. Jewel‑bright accessories, a paw‑print teacup and a decorative handbag rest on the golden table, while the Colosseum rises in the background amid colourful flowers, creating a whimsical and luxurious Roma moment for Amber’s bookish adventures.

See how the F.F.F. camera filter works so well - it's purrfection!

Living my best life! MOL

books and scroll post divider
๐Ÿ“šBACK IN THE LIBRARY๐Ÿ“š

๐Ÿพ Amber & Melvyn: A Rather Unexpected Souvenir!

Melvyn: AMBER!!! Welcome home! How was Italy?

Amber: Utterly furbulous, sweetie! Although poor Raffi may need several months to recover! MOL

Melvyn: We're all so happy mew're back!

Amber: And I'm delighted to be home! Now, before we catch up, I've brought a little surprise. Ralph, dahling, come on out!

Amber opened her enormous handbag, and a small dustbunny emerged carrying several tiny parcels.

Melvyn: RALPH?! WHERE HAVE MEW BEEN?!

Amber: Italy, dahling. He's been travelling with me the entire time. Such a delightful companion!

Melvyn: NINE WEEKS?! I thought he'd retreated under Aisle P for the summer, as it was very hot!

Ralph gave Melvyn a long, meaningful look before silently handing him a miniature notebook embossed with I BELIEVE IN MEW.

Amber: He's brought gifts for everypawdy! A Venetian luggage tag for Clive, a little Italian tourist guide for Gordon, and tiny cheese souvenirs for the mice.

Melvyn: Thank mew, Ralph. I love it, and Gordon and Clive will be thrilled! They're already planning their next holiday with mew.

Amber: Oh, I know, sweetie. I shall have to ask Raffi whether Purrfectly Luxurious Jollies offers a stationery-and-dustbunny package! MOL

Melvyn: It's so good to have mew home, Amber.

Amber: It's good to be back. And thank mew for taking such wonderful care of the library.

Melvyn: Awww, mew're welcome!

Amber: Now, let's have some catmint cocoa and biscuits. I want to hear everything!

Melvyn: Everything?

Amber: Well, perhaps just the highlights. I've still got my luggage to unpack!

Melvyn: How much luggage?

Amber: Dahling, that's a conversation for another day! MOL

Melvyn: I think it's time for elevenses then?

Amber: Mew read my mind, catnip cookies or cherry slices with catnip sprinkles?

Melvyn: BOTH!!! And then perhaps a meditation, or nap?

Amber: Sweetie, I think both today; I'm feeling frazzled from all that travel!

books and scroll post divider
๐Ÿ“š General Library Status Update ~ The Head Librarian Is Back In The Hot Seat

 I've completed my first inspection of the Mewton-Clawson Library since returning from Italy, and I'm delighted to report that Melvyn has done a sterling job keeping everything running!

Although, GOOD GRAVY, what on earth has been going on down in the Level Six archive?! MOL

The nine library mice are all present and correct, and apparently the Wedge of Wonder is now issuing official proclamations about mandatory elevenses. Frankly, that's one policy I wholeheartedly approve of!

Meanwhile, Gordon the Stapler is proudly displaying his little Italian tourist guide, courtesy of Ralph the dustbunny, and Clive the Paperclip has attached his Venetian luggage tag to his neon-orange travel bag. Both are already planning next year's holiday, despite nopawdy having decided where we're going!

Reginald is still wearing his cape and has been eyeing Ralph's Italian souvenirs with considerable interest. He insists it's purely a matter of archive security.

Fergus, on the other paw, has submitted a seventeen-page application to extend his Art Deco Nebula Suite into two neighbouring cupboards. Apparently, the addition of a cocktail bar is considered essential. I've placed his application in the PENDING FURTHER DISCUSSION tray!

And Ralph's little gifts for the mice have caused quite a stir. Chedds is particularly delighted with his miniature Italian cheese selection, although Oswald has already requested that all edible souvenirs be properly catalogued before anypawdy starts nibbling!

Hootbert surveyed the situation and declared, "Predictable."

The thesaurus offered, "Extravagance... eccentricity... escalating expenditure."

๐ŸŽ‰ Calmness Tracker 3000 Update ~ Management Reinstated

"Recalibration: 99%.

Ambient Chaos: Elevated.

Mouse Attendance: 9/9.

Owl Attendance: 1/1.

Stationery Holiday Preparations: Ongoing.

Fergus Renovation Budget: UNDER REVIEW.

Library Management: AMBER HAS RETURNED.

As for Melvyn, I've instructed him to take a well-earned break with a lovely cup of catmint cocoa and some biscuits while I tackle the mountain of incident reports he's accumulated.

Although judging by the size of the folder, I may need another holiday before I've finished reading it and had a word with Parsley! MOL

Anyhoo, enough of the library shenanigans for now, dahlings. It's time to settle into my favourite reading chair and get back to what I do best...

A richly decorated autumn library filled with tall wooden bookshelves, glowing lamps and garlands of seasonal leaves and flowers. Comfortable chairs and a patterned rug create a cosy reading nook amid rows of colourful books, giving the Mewton‑Clawson Library a warm and elegant October ambience at BBHQ.

๐Ÿพ Other Library Notes ~ The Bits I Almost Forgot!

A few final snippets from around BBHQ before we get down to some serious reading!

Vera Prime has welcomed me home in her usual mysteriously efficient manner, and a haiku, although I'm not entirely convinced she's told me everything that happened while I was away!

Amber comes back home 

The library breathes once more 

All is well again

Parsley is still investigating the demise of his Long-Distance-Parcel-Prodder, following an unfortunate encounter with something known only as the Oddity. Apparently, there's an incident report. Several, in fact!

Fudge and Smooch have assured me that the biscuit supplies remained purrfectly secure throughout my absence. Why they felt the need to volunteer this information is anypawdy's guess! MOL

And Melvyn has been awarded a very special Nine Weeks of Supurrlative Library Service commendation, complete with extra biscuits and absolutely no archive duties for the rest of the afternoon!

The Library Mice threw me a private welcome-home tea in my private reading room and told me everything; more about that another time! MOL

And Melvyn has reminded me that we really must send poor Raffi a rather special thank-mew gift for taking such excellent care of me throughout my Italian adventures.

Personally, I think a luxury spa retreat would be ideal. Somewhere peaceful, with absolutely no aristocats, chandeliers, wasp spray, nunchucks or demanding literary celebrities!

As for me, dahlings, I'm officially back in my favourite reading chair, my catmint cocoa is brewing, and my book pile is calling!

So, without further ado, let's get to this week's paw-approved pick! ๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿพ

9 cute library mice prading along post divider

Today, the P.A. is also joining in Friday Fill-ins Blog Hop with the pawesome 15 & Meowing and Four-Legged Furballs.
A cartoon illustration titled *Friendly Fill‑Ins* shows two cats sitting on a grassy field dotted with flowers. The cat on the left is orange with a red collar and a winking expression, while the cat on the right is black with green eyes and a blue collar. A butterfly flies above them, and rolling green hills and a blue sky form the background. Text at the top reads “Friendly Fill‑Ins — Hosted by Four‑Legged Furballs & 15andmeowing.”
1. _______________________________ is the strangest thing I ever researched online.

2. My wi-fi network is named _______________________.
        
 3. _________ is both a blessing and a curse.
         
 4. I _________ when life gets tough.

The P.A.'s answers are...

1. How to build a secret, seventeen-level underground bunker for a team of heavily armed cats is the strangest thing I ever researched online. Sadly, they only come with two levels ready-made... yeah, that's not going to cut the mustard - fifteen levels too few! LOL 

2. My wi-fi network is named BBHQ TOP SECRET - MEOWXIMUM SECURITY. 
        
 3. Having an imagination that never switches off is both a blessing and a curse. I'm like Melvyn and end up with Post-it Notes stuck to myself... yep, it's true! 
         
 4. I disappear into the Basilverse, where the cats run the show, nanobots fix everything, and there's always cake in the snack lounge when life gets tough. What a place to be... seriously, I would move in a heartbeat! LOL

antique typewriter and books post divider

Amber, dressed in Victorian‑style literary finery, sits at her ornate library desk with an open book while a helpful mouse assistant stands nearby holding more titles. Warm lamplight, overflowing bookshelves and autumnal dรฉcor frame the scene as Amber presents her top pick of the week — You’ve Got To Be Kitten by Corrine Winters — in a whimsical, cosy BBHQ library setting.
Mewton-Clawson Library Copy

You've Got To Be Kitten

by

Corrine Winters

books post divider

This was the book I was going to review for my last post in July, but the cat is called Rumpus, the same name as the cat in the previous week's review! MOL

But today, finally, here it is...

๐Ÿพ This Week’s Paw‑Approved Pick: 

My epically epic library-loving furiends, this week I've been curled up in my supurr snuggly oversized reading chair, sipping catmint cocoa and contemplating a most intriguing question.

What happens when mew turn forty, discover mew're a witch, and find yourself accused of murder?

Apparently, mew become a late broomer! MOL

You've Got to Be Kitten promises witchy shenanigans, murderous mischief, a good-looking police chief, and a feline furmiliar with more sass than sense.

Naturally, I was intrigued!

❓ What's the Vibe?

Think...

๐Ÿพ Midlife magical mayhem.

๐Ÿ”ฎ A charming coastal town hiding supurrnatural secrets.

๐Ÿ’€ A dead ex-fiancรฉ and a rather inconvenient murder accusation.

๐Ÿ˜น A snarky feline furmiliar called Rumpus.

๐Ÿ’• A handsome police chief with secrets of his own.

It's seaside cozy mystery meets witchy chaos, with a generous helping of feline cattitude. Purrfection!

๐Ÿพ What's the Story?

Twenty years ago, Ruby Rivers fled Fiddler's Cove after her fiancรฉ dumped her at the altar.

THE ALTAR, FURIENDS!

Personally, I'd have left him a particularly unpleasant surprise in his shoes, but apparently humans handle heartbreak differently!!! MOL

Now forty, Ruby returns to settle some unfinished business and leave.

Except her ex-fiancรฉ turns up dead.

And Ruby becomes the prime suspect!

Good gravy, talk about a disastrous homecoming!

Fortunately, Ruby has help from Rumpus, her magically gifted feline furmiliar, whose sarcastic commentary is apparently as unstoppable as his whiskers.

Then there's Police Chief John Miller, who may be hiding a few supurrnatural surprises himself.

With witchcraft awakening, ghosts lurking, and a murderer on the loose, Ruby must unravel Fiddler's Cove's secrets before she becomes the next victim.

⚔️ What I Loved About the Premise

๐Ÿ˜ธ Rumpus the Talking Cat - Sarcastic, magical, and gloriously opinionated. My kind of feline!

๐Ÿ”ฎ Ruby's Magical Awakening - Who says life's greatest adventures can't begin at forty? Hex over forty is purrfectly natural, after all! MOL

๐ŸŒŠ Fiddler's Cove - A quaint seaside town bursting with magical mysteries and suspicious residents.

๐Ÿ•ต️‍♀️ The Murder Mystery - A dead ex, a wrongly accused heroine, and plenty of purranormal intrigue.

๐Ÿ’• A Hint of Romance - A handsome police chief with secrets? Ooooh, pass the catnip popcorn!

✨ Tone & Style

Witchy, whimsical, snarky, and purranormal-cozy, with midlife magic, murderous mischievousness, and feline-forward fun.

Pawesome for readers who love talking cats, magical mysteries, and heroines discovering that forty is just the beginning!

๐Ÿ“– Final Thoughts

This has all the ingredients for a furbulous cozy mystery: a reluctant witch, an inconvenient corpse, a mysterious seaside town, and a sarcastic cat who clearly understands the impawtance of expressing one's opinions.

I particularly love the idea of Ruby discovering her magical powers at forty. Imagine being able to conjure unlimited catnip and magically refill the biscuit tin!

Though knowing my luck, I'd accidentally turn Parsley into a teapot!! MOL

๐Ÿช„ Summed Up in One Sentence

๐Ÿพ A whisker-twitching witchy mystery where a forty-year-old late broomer, her snarky feline furmiliar, and a seaside town full of secrets collide in magical, murderous mayhem! ๐Ÿพ

A Top Paw Pick for Purranormal Cozy Mystery Fans!

Now, if mew'll excuse me, I'm off to investigate the mysterious disappearance of my salmon biscuits. Smooch and Fudge are my prime suspects! MOL!

Paperback:  188 pages
Audio:  5 hours 48 mins

Rating of:

You've Got To Be Kitten

Overall Enjoyment


Other Fun Blog Hops to Join in Today

 
   
  Feline Friday   

     Saturday Critters    




Next Friday, dahlings, I'll be back with the first instalment of Amber's Grand Italian Journals, where I'll finally reveal what REALLY happened during my nine gloriously indulgent weeks in Italy!

And believe me, my epically epic furiends, there's rather more to tell than catnip champagne, couture and magnificent libraries!

But until then, I hope mew have a supurr weekend filled with wondrous books, delicious treats and absolutely no unexpected mysteries!

And if mew're looking for more great reads with cats, click here to visit my Book Review Page and purruse every book I've reviewed to date; I'm sure mew'll find something epic!

Until next time...

Keep calm and read more books

Amber 

The Cat Book Connoisseur

A glossy orange paw print with four rounded toe pads and a larger central pad stands out in a bright, smooth finish, creating a bold and cheerful sign‑off graphic for Amber’s Book Reviews.










Follow us @BionicBasil® on Instacat

Don't furget to subscribe and never miss another review! 

Copyright Notice
© [2026] BionicBasil®. All Rights Reserved. No part of this post, characters, or lore may be reproduced, scraped, or rewritten in any form (including AI) without express written permission
 graphics created with paid licence www.canva.com 

2 comments:

  1. It’s wonderful to have you back, Amber! Melvyn did really handle things well and the book sounds excellent. If your PA moves into the bunker, could I come visit and stay a while?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber you are back and doing reviews! Luv it. We are glad to see you approve the condition of the library and have an exciting book fur us.

    ReplyDelete

❤️*Waves Paw* we love comments, thanks so much fur leaving one ❤️
FYI Comment Moderation is on due an influx of SPAM - so if mew don't see your comment straight away, DON'T PANIC!