image copyright www.catsmatter.org
The 8th of October 2020 is the World Animal Road Accident Awareness Day, here's the official link to the campaign; it's heartbreaking when mew read about the 630+ cats a day that get hit by cars just in the UK alone. 25% of those will be fatal, leaving 75% that could possibly be saved if drivers stopped and did the right thing.
The UK's annual road casualties for wildlife is estimated at around 70 million animals, that's roughly the UK's human population - that is the saddest thing we've read in a long time.
Apparently, October is the highest rate of road deaths for cats, and approx 230,000+ cats are run over in the UK every year, which is absolutely horrific. However, the pawesome peeps at CatsMatter are trying to make big changes that benefit cats involved in RTA's.
At the moment, UK Law dictates that drivers must report the following anipals to the police:
Horses, Cattle, Pigs, Goats, Sheep, Donkeys, Mules and Dogs.
Domestic anipals need to be taken to a veterinarian immediately if injured. And deceased anipals also need to be taken to a vet to have their microchip scanned if they have one.
CatsMatter are working tirelessly with official govt bodies to make it illegal to leave the scene of an RTA involving a cat, and this procedure will include making it mandatory for all cat owners to have their pet microchipped by law.
There's oodles of info at the CatMatter's website, including downloadable sheets for
Roadside First Aid and Flyers to Distribute plus a few others too.
This is a very worthy cause, and we're right behind them.
Also, we purrsonally feel that some pet pawrents need to look at cat guardianship a little differently in 2020, as sadly we've noticed that some new pawrents think it's ok to let cats roam near busy roads all hours of the day and night, and then they're genuinely surprised when something bad happens to their cat. This astounds us, if we lived in a built-up area today, we'd have no outside time at all unless it was in a catio.
When the P.A. lived in the city her furst cat, Catkin was hit by a car and she spent 2 days looking for him, combing the streets, checking everywhere she could think of and asking anyone she saw, and she also rang every shelter multiple times a day until she found him.
Catkin had been visiting another house only 50 yards away for a while, and apparently, after his accident, he went to that house and sat on the landing, the chap who lived there eventually took Catkin to the RSPCA and the P.A. finally found him. His back leg was badly broken, the knee joint was floating and it cost £2500+ in 1996 to have his leg fixed, that was a lot of cash back then and he had to go to a special surgeon 40 miles away, so the costs kept spiralling and he wasn't insured at the time.
In the last 25 years, the traffic has got busier and busier, and some people still let their cats roam at will. Ask yourself this, would mew let a baby/toddler run around near busy roads? We certainly wouldn't!
Even in our tiny village, our neighbours Tonkinese cat was hit by a delivery driver about 3 years ago, and it cost over £4,000 to make him better.
If mew're a cat owner and mew still let your cat roam, purrlease don't, keep them indoors or build a little catio, keep them safe. The price of a catio today would be far cheaper than paying the vets costs to try and fix your cat after a road accident.
If mew're looking for a catio, DIY or custom-built go visit our supurr pals at Protect-a-Pet and tell them Bionic Basil sent mew and **no this is not an affiliate link or a paid ad**
In other news this week, our epic buddy's at Scrumble's asked us if we'd like to try one of their new Catmas 2020 Advent Calendars, of course we'd like to try one, did mew really need to ask! MOL MOL MOL
Anyhoo, the other day it arrived at BBHQ and we were most eager to check it out.
The P.A. unpacked it as fast as she could, and then Melvyn and Fudge were furst on paw to inspect it, and they couldn't wait...
"Roll on December!" they both said. "We can't wait to nom those noms!"
If mew'd like to get your mittens on one of these epic calendars click here before they're sold out, and they also do one for our K9 buddy's too, so everypawdy can have extra treats this Catmas, WOOOOOO HOOOOOO! MOL
**FYI these are not affiliate links**
And finally this week, Ghostly Goings On at BBHQ.
Shhhhhhh, don't tell anypawdy but we've heard that Amber's got a whole new look for her new season's review posts and apparently, she's gone with PINK... we couldn't believe it either!
Don't tell Amber that we told mew! MOL
If mew've missed any of the posts over the last week, here are the catch-up links:
Amber is here on Friday with her furst review of the new season so we do hope mew can join us then and don't furget to hop along on the Pet Parade below.
Wing Commander Basil & The B Team
Guys just to let mew know mew can right-click to paste your links in below to make it easier to join in.